Hiroshi Sakata, the President of Sakata Seed Corp. was recently awarded the All-America Selections (AAS) Medallion of Honor. Established in 1932, AAS is an authoritative trade association for the gardening industry. It aims to introduce and popularize new varieties to gardeners in the U.S. and Canada.
The Medallion of Honor is awarded to individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the development of the gardening industry. As such, it is regarded as an extremely prestigious award in the global gardening industry.
Hiroshi Sakata is the third member of Sakata Seed to receive the Medallion of Honor, following founder Takeo Sakata and former Senior Managing Director Shunichiro Suda.
The award ceremony was conducted at the Awards Banquet of the AAS Summer Summit held in Vancouver, Canada (September 7, 2023) in Japan.
How Greenhouse Growers Can Turn Communication Technology into a Competitive Advantage
Fast Facts About Hiroshi Sakata
- Date of Birth: Feb. 14, 1952 (age 71)
- Birthplace: Kamakura City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- 1974: Graduated from Keio University, Faculty of Economics
- 1974: Joined The Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank, Ltd. (now Mizuho Bank, Ltd.)
- 1981: Joined T. Sakata & Co. (now Sakata Seed)
- 2007: Appointed President of Sakata Seed (to present)
- Main Official Positions: Advisor, Japan Seed Trade Association (former Chairman); President, Kanagawa Seed Cooperative Association. Chairman, The Japan Home Garden Association